With the latest and shameful coming out of Valley Ranch this week, it makes sense finally to put some of these pieces into place for next season. One of my favorite speculations at this point is coming from www.CowboysFanRebellion.com. MSchmidt64 is the author, and you can also find him over at www.DallasCowboysCentral.com. Here’s a piece of his article followed by a link to check out the whole thing.
Many of the more level-headed among us had a feeling that this team wouldn’t open up Yet-To-Be-Decided-Corporate-Sponsor Stadium with Wade Phillips at the helm. Or at least, that’s what we hoped.
Come on. Wade Phillips? A head coach who has never won a playoff game in his long, long, NFL career? A man who has just presided over quite possibly one of the most embarrassing seasons ever for your Dallas Cowboys? A character who, in terms of the always important marketability angle, is more likely to cause fans to part with their hard earned dollars for a multitude of various prescription and non-prescription drugs as opposed to personal seat licenses?
So it was no real surprise when I logged onto the interweb recently and found out, officially, that he’s no longer running the show. Sure, there had been evidence before. Hints dropped here and there. But now we know for sure. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Head Coach for the 2009 Dallas Cowboys will be…. Jerry Jones.
Head Coach Jerry Jones. To be honest, I wanted to come up with a catchier moniker for the old-new big man, one that would appropriately characterize his role as Owner/General Manager/Head Coach/Team Physician/Quality Control/Character Consultant for the organization. But with “slash” already taken by Kordell Stewart, and “solidus,” while appropriately sinister, sounding more like one of the Transformers, I’m just not creative enough to do better (aside: work in Jerry Jones reconstructive face surgery angle here? Take this down). Maybe Jerry/Jones? Ehh.
So Head Coach Jones it is. And why not?
- He already decides what schemes we’ll run (Was Phillips the best coach available? Or the best 3-4 coach available?).
- He already decides if players are being utilized correctly.
- He’s already refused to bring in much needed help for former head coach Wade Phillips, and, in refusing to hire him a Defensive Coordinator, essentially relegated him to that role.
- He already sets the fines for players who break team rules.
- He’s already the guy that players go to when they have complaints about other coaches or players.
- He’s already the guy that gives pre- and post-game pep talks in the locker room and on the sidelines.
- He’s already the guy that looks at the X-Rays on injured players.
- He already sits next to Wade during Press Conferences and probably has provided him with note cards with what he’s supposed to talk about on them.
You can see the full article and comment on it by going to www.CowboysFanRebellion.com. While you’re there take a minute and sign the petition to have Jerry Jones hire a real GM. We’re really starting to gain some support, so you won’t be alone. Sign The Petition.